Give your Kids the Gift of Exercise and Socialization this winter.
Like many parents, I worry about my three daughters' health as they spend an incredible amount of time on their iPads and computer each day playing games, making videos, or chatting on social media. As winter approaches, my concerns are exaggerated because the weather isn't always as conducive to as many outdoor activities. So today I thought we would pass along an option for children to get some great exercise indoors, have a blast, and make some new friends as part of a team during those long and cold months ahead.
What is Futsal? Indoor soccer for ages 6+ played on a hard court with a special soccer ball that doesn't bounce very much. On such a small court the game is fast paced and last only 30 mins so the parents enjoy watching as much as the kids enjoy playing. For a video of children playing futsal scroll to the bottom of this page.
No expensive special gear is required. Children can wear standard tennis shoes, shorts, and colored t-shirt. The only thing a child will need for safety is a pair of shin guards which you can get at Walmart or Amazon for under $10. Best of all, there are no practices. Kids just show up for games once a week, have a blast, and leave all sweaty with some new friends. Given winter means lots of vacations and holidays, it isn't the end of the world if you miss some games as subbing kids from other teams is easy.
Does your child need to have soccer skill?
- For younger children aged 6-10, NO experience is required. If they played rec soccer in that past, that is a bonus.
- From 12-18 your child should have played rec soccer with the city so they have some basic ball skills, and they don't get frustrated.
An adult league is also offered for you rambunctious parents.
- Players can register as individuals (and the club will place you on a team with a coach) or you can register an entire team.
- Teams consist of 6-9 players
- Registration closes 11/15
- Season starts the 1st week of Dec and runs through late Jan
- Cost is $60 per player or $375 for a team
- 1 game per week
- 8-10 games per season
Where can my child play?
For more information, visit the Sporting Arkansas futsal page here.
To register your child individually, follow this link.